Saturday, March 22, 2008

Is this the end of Summer?

We've had a busy week. Derrick has had a touch of the flu & to prevent passing it on to the baby & myself has kept his distance from all baby duties this week. Thanks I think? I haven't gotten sick yet, but am exhausted from caring for two kids. Now I have a quiet night at home with a glass of wine. The baby is in bed, Derrick is at the pub making up for lost time over Lent & I am actually really enjoying myself at home on the couch. Is that wrong?

Well, Easter might be early this year, but in true form the weather has also changed and the wet weather has come just in time for the long weekend. From memory, it was just as wet last Easter as well. The weather in the last week has been hot. Low 30's and we've been in the pool just about everyday. Maeghan is loving the water. The little pair of swimmers that I got for her at the start of summer are well & truly too small for her. I've been hesitant to get a new pair thinking that at the rate she is growing, there wasn't enough swimming weather yet to justify it. As a result, we've had a little nudie baby in the backyard. She doesn't seem to mind.

New milestones this week. Maeghan hit the 5 month mark. I'm amazed at how quickly the time has gone, at the same time, I find it hard to remember what life was like before she came along. New tricks - well the rolling over has been happening for a couple of weeks now, but now it goes in both directions. Back to front & now front to back. As you can see from the photos, she is almost getting up on all fours. She is really trying to get the knees up, they are just not quite there yet. It's scary & exciting to see that it won't be long until she's actually mobile.



The other new trick, which has only really happened today it that she is now mostly sitting up. I wouldn't leave her alone, she still has a tendency to topple, especially when trying to reach for stuff, but there is a definite amount of stability there that wasn't there yesterday. Amazing how it all just clicks. They do say that all of the physical development starts from the head down. As the head & neck develop strength, it then moves down to their arms, stomach and legs. Ever since the rolling over has begun, she has certainly spent most of her time on her tummy, which has helped to built more strength. Everything else just seems to be taking care of itself.




With this all of this extra physical ability, I suppose it's natural to need a bit of extra energy. They say that solids should start around about 6 months & there are signs that the baby shows when they are ready to start. Well Maeghan has been keenly sucking on wedges of fruit, madly watching & reaching for food that's going into my mouth. So does that mean that she's ready for solids? Not sure, but we decided to test the waters. We tried some rice porridge tonight. I think that maybe 1 or 2 spoonfuls even made it into the mouth.

I think that's most of the news for this week. We're off to the Sydney Royal Easter Show next week, which is a massive event held at this time every year. I'm sure there will be plenty of news to come out of that.

Happy Easter to all.

No comments: